Head-on crash kills three people near Mendota
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Three people are dead following a crash on Highway 180 in Fresno County.
The California Highway Patrol said a small car was driving eastbound on Highway 180 when it veered into the path of a semi-truck just after 2:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. The two people in the car, a man and a woman, were killed. The semi-truck burst into flames, and the female driver died at the scene. Terry Ince lives along Highway 180 and woke up after hearing what sounded like an explosion. "The flames were from in front of my house all the way to the entrance of Spreckles, three feet tall. It was unbelievable. It looked like a war zone," said Ince.
The passenger was ejected and was taken to a Fresno hospital. His condition is unknown. Officers have not revealed the identities of the victims. The cause of the crash is still under investigation, but alcohol could be a factor. "It's a possibility. Our responding officers went out to the scene and found numerous bottles in and around the vehicle, the Ford Escort," said CHP spokesperson Sean Duncan.
mendota, kerman, fresno county, accident, local, amanda perez
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies