Head-on crash kills three people near Mendota
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Three people are dead following a crash on Highway 180 in Fresno County.
The California Highway Patrol said a small car was driving eastbound on Highway 180 when it veered into the path of a semi-truck just after 2:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. The two people in the car, a man and a woman, were killed. The semi-truck burst into flames, and the female driver died at the scene. Terry Ince lives along Highway 180 and woke up after hearing what sounded like an explosion. "The flames were from in front of my house all the way to the entrance of Spreckles, three feet tall. It was unbelievable. It looked like a war zone," said Ince.
The passenger was ejected and was taken to a Fresno hospital. His condition is unknown. Officers have not revealed the identities of the victims. The cause of the crash is still under investigation, but alcohol could be a factor. "It's a possibility. Our responding officers went out to the scene and found numerous bottles in and around the vehicle, the Ford Escort," said CHP spokesperson Sean Duncan.
mendota, kerman, fresno county, accident, local, amanda perez
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago