Joey Lopez: "I don't even know if I'm alive or dead anymore"
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An emotional interview from a man on trial for murder caused him to break down in tears while listening to the audiotape interrogation.
Joey Lopez is facing murder charges for gunning down a beer delivery driver two years ago.
Thursday morning in court, Lopez wiped away tears as the court listened to an interview he gave investigators hours after Richard Hernandez was killed.
Hernandez was getting ready to make his first delivery of the day at a mini-mart at Belmont and Palm when he was shot to death.
During the interview, homicide detectives repeatedly asked him why he murdered a man he never knew.
Joey Lopez: "You could look at me like I'm a bad person. But, I know I have a good heart, alright. But I don't even know if I'm alive or dead anymore, alright. It doesn't make no sense to me."
Detective: "It makes perfect sense."
The getaway driver has already pleaded guilty and testified against Lopez as part of a plea deal.
If convicted, Lopez could serve 55 years to life in prison.
murder, crimetracker, court, shooting, fresno police department, local
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- History of snow in Fresno and Porterville
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather
- Three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation