Chukchansi tribal member truce is over
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Madera County Sheriff will keep his deputies in front of the Chukchansi tribal office through the weekend.
Sheriff John Anderson tells ABC30 he spent most of the day trying to help the two dueling factions negotiate, but says neither side will budge.
Earlier this week a group of people barricaded themselves inside the government office. A second group tried to regain control, and a riot ensued landing two people in the hospital.
Thursday night the sheriff says he's tallying the expense, and trying to maintain the peace. "We're being criticized when we don't and when we do do something and neither side is very happy with the other side and now they're not happy with us, but it comes with the territory and hopefully resolved as soon as it can."
The general manager at the Chukchansi casino says this ongoing dispute isn't affecting business or reservations.
crimetracker, coarsegold, stabbing, chukchansi gold resort & casino, madera county, local
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges 41 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95 15 min ago
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera 32 min ago
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Fire Safety