Deadly hit and run in East Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are searching for a driver they say hit and killed a pedestrian in East Central Fresno.
Investigators say the deadly hit-and-run took place around 10:30 Thursday night. It happened at the intersection of Belmont and Backer avenues.
Detectives say a witness saw the car, possibly a dark colored Nissan Altima, drive away after the crash.
Fresno police say the victim, a 54 year old man was not using the crosswalk. They have not released his name.
People in the area say they are shocked by the deadly hit and run.
"It's sad somebody can live their life knowing that they did that," said Veronica Valadez. "It's heart breaking."
Those who work nearby the deadly collision say the intersection is not well lit at night. They say street lights are out because of copper wire thefts.
hit and run, fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, local, mariana jacob
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball! 32 min ago
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Car crashes into a parade injuring around 60 people
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos