Deadly hit and run in East Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are searching for a driver they say hit and killed a pedestrian in East Central Fresno.
Investigators say the deadly hit-and-run took place around 10:30 Thursday night. It happened at the intersection of Belmont and Backer avenues.
Detectives say a witness saw the car, possibly a dark colored Nissan Altima, drive away after the crash.
Fresno police say the victim, a 54 year old man was not using the crosswalk. They have not released his name.
People in the area say they are shocked by the deadly hit and run.
"It's sad somebody can live their life knowing that they did that," said Veronica Valadez. "It's heart breaking."
Those who work nearby the deadly collision say the intersection is not well lit at night. They say street lights are out because of copper wire thefts.
hit and run, fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, local, mariana jacob
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher 50 min ago
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder 24 min ago
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos