Deadly hit and run in East Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are searching for a driver they say hit and killed a pedestrian in East Central Fresno.
Investigators say the deadly hit-and-run took place around 10:30 Thursday night. It happened at the intersection of Belmont and Backer avenues.
Detectives say a witness saw the car, possibly a dark colored Nissan Altima, drive away after the crash.
Fresno police say the victim, a 54 year old man was not using the crosswalk. They have not released his name.
People in the area say they are shocked by the deadly hit and run.
"It's sad somebody can live their life knowing that they did that," said Veronica Valadez. "It's heart breaking."
Those who work nearby the deadly collision say the intersection is not well lit at night. They say street lights are out because of copper wire thefts.
hit and run, fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, local, mariana jacob
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos