Guilty verdict reached in Fresno beer delivery driver's murder
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno jury reached a guilty verdict late Friday afternoon in the case of a man accused of gunning down a beer delivery driver. Joey Jesse Lopez was convicted of first-degree murder charges for killing Richard Hernandez two years ago.
The jury reached a verdict less than two hours after hearing closing arguments in the case involving defendant Joey Jesse Lopez. Lopez showed no reaction as the guilty verdict was read in court. Lopez shot and killed Richard Hernandez outside a mini mart at Belmont and Palm as Hernandez lowered the lift gate on his delivery truck. Before wrapping up the case, the prosecution team replayed surveillance video showing Lopez getting out of a pickup truck, walking up to Hernandez and shooting him three times at point blank range.
Family members of the victim were struck with emotion as the verdict was read. "It's not going to bring my grandson back and what can I tell my great grandchildren? That their daddy is never coming back because they always ask. But it's a little relief," said Maria Perez, Hernandez's grandmother.
Lopez's defense attorney was asking for a second-degree murder conviction arguing the murder was not premeditated.
Despite the guilty ruling, the second phase of the trial concerning the sanity of the defendant will continue on Monday. "I'm happy about that, now we'll go on and finish this off and hope for the best," said Bernice Lujan, the victim's mother.
If found guilty by reason of insanity, Lopez could serve a 50 year to life sentence in a mental institution.
crimetracker, murder, court, shooting, fresno police department, local, carlos saucedo
- Native American remains found during fishing trip 13 min ago
- 18-month-old child dies in Kern County house fire
- Mariposa fire evacuees are heading home
- Brian Calhoun pleads not guilty in student attack
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns
- Panel restores some pay for California lawmakers, governor
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez