Guilty verdict reached in Fresno beer delivery driver's murder
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno jury reached a guilty verdict late Friday afternoon in the case of a man accused of gunning down a beer delivery driver. Joey Jesse Lopez was convicted of first-degree murder charges for killing Richard Hernandez two years ago.
The jury reached a verdict less than two hours after hearing closing arguments in the case involving defendant Joey Jesse Lopez. Lopez showed no reaction as the guilty verdict was read in court. Lopez shot and killed Richard Hernandez outside a mini mart at Belmont and Palm as Hernandez lowered the lift gate on his delivery truck. Before wrapping up the case, the prosecution team replayed surveillance video showing Lopez getting out of a pickup truck, walking up to Hernandez and shooting him three times at point blank range.
Family members of the victim were struck with emotion as the verdict was read. "It's not going to bring my grandson back and what can I tell my great grandchildren? That their daddy is never coming back because they always ask. But it's a little relief," said Maria Perez, Hernandez's grandmother.
Lopez's defense attorney was asking for a second-degree murder conviction arguing the murder was not premeditated.
Despite the guilty ruling, the second phase of the trial concerning the sanity of the defendant will continue on Monday. "I'm happy about that, now we'll go on and finish this off and hope for the best," said Bernice Lujan, the victim's mother.
If found guilty by reason of insanity, Lopez could serve a 50 year to life sentence in a mental institution.
crimetracker, murder, court, shooting, fresno police department, local, carlos saucedo
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno 48 min ago
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88 55 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies