Fresno teen killed in street racing crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An eighteen year old is dead after a violent street racing crash, and the CHP says alcohol was involved.
Officers say the drivers of two Camaros were illegally racing in the area of California and Hughes in Southwest Fresno around 9:30 Thursday night.
Investigators say both drivers lost control of their cars. One car rolled multiple times.
Robert Vasquez, 18, wasn't wearing a seatbelt and died at the scene. His friend, Jesus Miguel Corrales, 20, was arrested for drunk driving, vehicular manslaughter, and illegally racing.
CHP officers say they've stepped up their efforts to curb incidents like this. "Anytime there's an event of this nature we're going to patrol those areas and make sure those areas are safe and keep our drivers safe," said Officer Sean Duncan.
The driver of the second car is still on the run.
crimetracker, accident, dui, fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, local
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed 7 min ago
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case