Head-on crash in Fresno County leaves one dead
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- A violent crash left one person dead and one person in critical condition Sunday night in Fresno County.
The head-on crash happened just before 10:30 p.m. on California near Marks, between a van and a Chevy Cavalier. Officers say alcohol was a factor in the crash.
The Highway Patrol says the driver of thr van veered onto the wrong side of the road when he smashed into a Chevy Cavalier head on, killing Gerardo Herera on scene
Officers say the driver of the van, identified as Elidio Gonzales of Fresno, admitted he had been drinking prior to the crash.
"The driver of the vehicle succumbed to his injuries at the scene and the passenger is in critical condition in Community Regional Medical Center," said Jeremy Key with the California Highway Patrol.
Officers had to use the jaws of life to remove both drivers from their vehicles.
The CHP has charged Gonzales with felony driving under the influence.
Gonzales could face vehicular manslaughter charges as well.
crimetracker, dui, accident, kerman, fresno county, fresno southwest, fresno, california highway patrol, local, tommy tran
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos