Head-on crash in Fresno County leaves one dead
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- A violent crash left one person dead and one person in critical condition Sunday night in Fresno County.
The head-on crash happened just before 10:30 p.m. on California near Marks, between a van and a Chevy Cavalier. Officers say alcohol was a factor in the crash.
The Highway Patrol says the driver of thr van veered onto the wrong side of the road when he smashed into a Chevy Cavalier head on, killing Gerardo Herera on scene
Officers say the driver of the van, identified as Elidio Gonzales of Fresno, admitted he had been drinking prior to the crash.
"The driver of the vehicle succumbed to his injuries at the scene and the passenger is in critical condition in Community Regional Medical Center," said Jeremy Key with the California Highway Patrol.
Officers had to use the jaws of life to remove both drivers from their vehicles.
The CHP has charged Gonzales with felony driving under the influence.
Gonzales could face vehicular manslaughter charges as well.
crimetracker, dui, accident, kerman, fresno county, fresno southwest, fresno, california highway patrol, local, tommy tran
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos