Head-on crash in Fresno County leaves one dead
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- A violent crash left one person dead and one person in critical condition Sunday night in Fresno County.
The head-on crash happened just before 10:30 p.m. on California near Marks, between a van and a Chevy Cavalier. Officers say alcohol was a factor in the crash.
The Highway Patrol says the driver of thr van veered onto the wrong side of the road when he smashed into a Chevy Cavalier head on, killing Gerardo Herera on scene
Officers say the driver of the van, identified as Elidio Gonzales of Fresno, admitted he had been drinking prior to the crash.
"The driver of the vehicle succumbed to his injuries at the scene and the passenger is in critical condition in Community Regional Medical Center," said Jeremy Key with the California Highway Patrol.
Officers had to use the jaws of life to remove both drivers from their vehicles.
The CHP has charged Gonzales with felony driving under the influence.
Gonzales could face vehicular manslaughter charges as well.
crimetracker, dui, accident, kerman, fresno county, fresno southwest, fresno, california highway patrol, local, tommy tran
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 28 min ago
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested 25 min ago
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up