Authorities: woman ripped off senior citizens
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The family of a victim is upset after discovering, what authorities are calling, an elaborate form of elder abuse.
Fresno County Sheriff's detectives have been investigating the case for more than two years. They claim, Sharon Harrelson, 55, cheated several elderly people out of tens of thousands of dollars. Detectives know of at least four victims, but fear there could be more.
Michael Wyrick said, "I feel really silly in the end for trusting her, but she's very convincing."
Wyrick reached out to Sharon Harrelson after a friend from work told him about her. Harrelson touts herself as someone who can assist seniors with their long-term care by shielding their assets and helping them qualify for Medi-Cal.
But, Fresno County Sheriff's detectives tell a different story. They allege Harrelson befriended clients and had them deposit money directly into her account. Detectives began investigating her back in 2009, when her employer at the time, Soutas and Associates, alerted them about the alleged crimes.
Chris Curtice said, "She actually admitted to the company that she had embezzled some money, they fired her, and then they did an audit and found several thousand dollars had been embezzled from different clients."
So far, investigators have calculated 80-thousand dollars in losses. Michael Wyrick says his mom lost nine-thousand dollars in the scam. "I believe the information is skewed."
Steve Harrelson is Sharon Harrelson's husband. He claims she is a good person, who never stole money from anyone.
But, Michael and his mother say they know the truth. Which is why they're speaking out. "Our goal is to keep her from doing this to anyone else."
The Madera County Sheriff's Office, as well as California Department of Insurance, are assisting the investigation.
If you have any information, or believe you may be a victim, contact the Fresno County Sheriff's Office.
scams, crimetracker, local, shannon handy
- Pedestrian killed in Highway 99 hit and run crash
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos