Authorities target Sanger gang
SANGER, California (KFSN) -- Law enforcement officials are cracking down on gang violence in Sanger. The Varrio Sanger Trece Surenos will now have to abide by a court ordered injunction, or go to jail.
Fighting gang violence in Sanger is nothing new for Fresno County's M.A.G.E.C. But, with a new, permanent injunction, they now have even more power to do so.
Sgt. Joshua McCahill said, "If they look suspicious, or if they're committing a traffic violation, or you know, we know the person and they're a gang member and they're hanging out with other gang members, we can stop them and check them."
The injunction marks the city's second. The first one was instituted back in 2003 against the Chankla Bulldogs. The result says Fresno County's Chief Deputy District Attorney: a 52-percent decrease in calls for service.
Greg Anderson said, "The graffiti is much less than it was before, gang members don't hang around on the corners selling narcotics or intimidating other people."
Under the new injunction, Surenos within a specific three-mile so-called safety zone are not allowed to associate with each other, show gang signs or wear gang clothing.
Elizabeth Egan, Fresno County's District Attorney said, "Break the law, break any terms of this injunction and we'll promise to prosecute you."
As for what will happen once they get arrested, Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims insists early releases won't be an issue. That's because under AB-109, gang enhancements are state prison cases, which means those criminals are more likely to stay locked up. "We're going to send a message that you know, if you're a gang member in Sanger, it's not going to be tolerated."
Fresno County now has a total of seven gang injunctions, with more on the way.
gang, crimetracker, fresno county, sanger, local, shannon handy
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Putin vows to beef up Arctic military presence
- Canada plans claim that would include North Pole
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car