$180K worth of Fresno City College's audio equipment stolen
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Students at Fresno City College spent the past two days scrambling to replace $180,000 worth of audio equipment stolen from the school's newly renovated auditorium. The equipment was stolen from a storage room in the old administration building and is normally used for events in the nearby auditorium. Monday, a jazz concert went on as scheduled after students and staff spent hours hauling borrowed equipment across campus.
A spokesperson for the school said the first person to walk into the Old Administration Building Monday morning arrived to the sounds of a burglar alarm. That's when the administrator noticed an empty storage room that should have been filled with the equipment. "In these tough budget times, any loss is a big loss because you don't want to have to spend money to replace equipment," said Fresno City College spokesperson Kathy Bonilla.
With just one day to go until Tuesday's jazz concert, the students and staff had to haul equipment from the music department across campus before and after the show. "It's heartbreaking because this equipment is brand new. Some of it is still in its boxes, unopened, ready to be used... And somebody comes in and just takes it away," said student Edward Fritz.
Bonilla said the equipment was purchased by grant money and at this point, they don't know how and if the electronics will be replaced. Administrators are now trying to make sure events like these go on as scheduled.
"It's a corny expression, but the show must go on. And it really does. These students sound marvelous. They work super hard, and there was no thought of canceling the performance -- absolutely none," said FCC music instructor Mike Dana.
There are several other events scheduled to take place at the auditorium over the next few weeks and the school says they may to rent equipment as needed or borrow from other community colleges within the district. In the meantime, the investigation continues and is being handled by State Center Community College District Police.
crimetracker, burglary, theft, fresno city college, fresno, local, amanda perez
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer 46 min ago
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder 48 min ago
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures 14 min ago
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt