$180K worth of Fresno City College's audio equipment stolen
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Students at Fresno City College spent the past two days scrambling to replace $180,000 worth of audio equipment stolen from the school's newly renovated auditorium. The equipment was stolen from a storage room in the old administration building and is normally used for events in the nearby auditorium. Monday, a jazz concert went on as scheduled after students and staff spent hours hauling borrowed equipment across campus.
A spokesperson for the school said the first person to walk into the Old Administration Building Monday morning arrived to the sounds of a burglar alarm. That's when the administrator noticed an empty storage room that should have been filled with the equipment. "In these tough budget times, any loss is a big loss because you don't want to have to spend money to replace equipment," said Fresno City College spokesperson Kathy Bonilla.
With just one day to go until Tuesday's jazz concert, the students and staff had to haul equipment from the music department across campus before and after the show. "It's heartbreaking because this equipment is brand new. Some of it is still in its boxes, unopened, ready to be used... And somebody comes in and just takes it away," said student Edward Fritz.
Bonilla said the equipment was purchased by grant money and at this point, they don't know how and if the electronics will be replaced. Administrators are now trying to make sure events like these go on as scheduled.
"It's a corny expression, but the show must go on. And it really does. These students sound marvelous. They work super hard, and there was no thought of canceling the performance -- absolutely none," said FCC music instructor Mike Dana.
There are several other events scheduled to take place at the auditorium over the next few weeks and the school says they may to rent equipment as needed or borrow from other community colleges within the district. In the meantime, the investigation continues and is being handled by State Center Community College District Police.
crimetracker, burglary, theft, fresno city college, fresno, local, amanda perez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe