New suspect tops Fresno's "Top 5 auto thieves" list
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspected car thief earned a new title, the wrong way. He's number one on the Fresno Police Department's list of top five auto thieves.
Michael Kent is considered Fresno's most notorious car thief. The person who used to be ranked number one was sentenced last week to four years in state prison. Kent was last arrested on March 6th.
Victor Portillo is number two on the list. He was arrested this week for the 7th time this year. Jeremiah Gutierrez and Francisco Delarosa come in at number three and four -- and Ralph Jasso is number five on the list.
Police say their focus on car thefts and making arrests has resulted in a drop in crime.
"We're at a 38 percent reduction from this time last year... approximately 500 less cars stolen than this time last year," said Sgt. Tim Tietjen with the Fresno Police Department.
Officers say Michael Kent stole three cars in one day around Clovis, and in Northeast and Northwest Fresno.
clovis, fresno northeast, fresno northwest, auto theft, fresno, fresno county, local
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos