New suspect tops Fresno's "Top 5 auto thieves" list
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspected car thief earned a new title, the wrong way. He's number one on the Fresno Police Department's list of top five auto thieves.
Michael Kent is considered Fresno's most notorious car thief. The person who used to be ranked number one was sentenced last week to four years in state prison. Kent was last arrested on March 6th.
Victor Portillo is number two on the list. He was arrested this week for the 7th time this year. Jeremiah Gutierrez and Francisco Delarosa come in at number three and four -- and Ralph Jasso is number five on the list.
Police say their focus on car thefts and making arrests has resulted in a drop in crime.
"We're at a 38 percent reduction from this time last year... approximately 500 less cars stolen than this time last year," said Sgt. Tim Tietjen with the Fresno Police Department.
Officers say Michael Kent stole three cars in one day around Clovis, and in Northeast and Northwest Fresno.
clovis, fresno northeast, fresno northwest, auto theft, fresno, fresno county, local
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos