New suspect tops Fresno's "Top 5 auto thieves" list
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspected car thief earned a new title, the wrong way. He's number one on the Fresno Police Department's list of top five auto thieves.
Michael Kent is considered Fresno's most notorious car thief. The person who used to be ranked number one was sentenced last week to four years in state prison. Kent was last arrested on March 6th.
Victor Portillo is number two on the list. He was arrested this week for the 7th time this year. Jeremiah Gutierrez and Francisco Delarosa come in at number three and four -- and Ralph Jasso is number five on the list.
Police say their focus on car thefts and making arrests has resulted in a drop in crime.
"We're at a 38 percent reduction from this time last year... approximately 500 less cars stolen than this time last year," said Sgt. Tim Tietjen with the Fresno Police Department.
Officers say Michael Kent stole three cars in one day around Clovis, and in Northeast and Northwest Fresno.
clovis, fresno northeast, fresno northwest, auto theft, fresno, fresno county, local
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Good Sports: Kensuke Tanaka
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford