New suspect tops Fresno's "Top 5 auto thieves" list
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspected car thief earned a new title, the wrong way. He's number one on the Fresno Police Department's list of top five auto thieves.
Michael Kent is considered Fresno's most notorious car thief. The person who used to be ranked number one was sentenced last week to four years in state prison. Kent was last arrested on March 6th.
Victor Portillo is number two on the list. He was arrested this week for the 7th time this year. Jeremiah Gutierrez and Francisco Delarosa come in at number three and four -- and Ralph Jasso is number five on the list.
Police say their focus on car thefts and making arrests has resulted in a drop in crime.
"We're at a 38 percent reduction from this time last year... approximately 500 less cars stolen than this time last year," said Sgt. Tim Tietjen with the Fresno Police Department.
Officers say Michael Kent stole three cars in one day around Clovis, and in Northeast and Northwest Fresno.
clovis, fresno northeast, fresno northwest, auto theft, fresno, fresno county, local
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe