Undercover narcotics officers shoot, kill suspect in Sanger
SANGER, Calif. (KFSN) -- Undercover narcotics officers shot and killed a suspect outside a busy McDonald's restaurant in Sanger Thursday night. It happened around 6 o'clock on Academy near Church.
The undercover officers involved work for the Fresno Police Department. According to Chief Dyer, this shooting happened after three suspects tried selling two-pounds of meth to an informant.
Dozens of people witnessed Thursday's officer involved shooting outside a Sanger McDonald's. Adriana Silva was inside the restaurant with her eight-year-old sister, when they heard several shots ring out.
Adriana Silva said, "And then, I hide my little sister under the desk, and you see like all kinds of cops undercover, like shooting at people."
Silva took cell phone video, showing paramedics tending to the suspect. According to investigators, he and two others agreed to meet an informant at the parking lot, for what they thought was a legitimate drug deal.
Instead, undercover officers from Fresno's major narcotics unit had been following them. As the deal unfolded, they moved in. That's when investigators say, the suspect pulled out a gun.
Chief Jerry Dyer said, "Our officer, after yelling at the individual to drop the weapon did not and our officer fired at the suspect. It's my understanding at this point that the suspect then ran and two additional officers fired their weapons at that suspect."
Another witness confirms what officers say happened.
Brenda Martinez said, "He just started running, so that's when they started chasing him, and then the other ones stayed and they just started shooting at his. There was just like so many gun shots."
Soon after, the parking lot was taped off. Witnesses and employees from nearby restaurants were not allowed to leave until they were interviewed by detectives.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Office has now taken over the investigation. As for the three officers involved, they are on paid administrative leave.
The two other suspects involved with the drug deal were arrested. Chief Dyer says his officers have been investigating them for about six months.
crimetracker, drug bust, officer involved shooting, shooting, sanger, fresno, clovis, fresno county, local, shannon handy
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Fresno baby born on the way to Clovis Community
- Unemployment applications fall by 23,000
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- New Fresno State president has strong Valley roots
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system
- Budget improvements for Fresno Unified
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District