Dangerous road conditions keep authorities busy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The snow and rain made driving difficult on Sunday. Emergency crews spent the day responding to accidents all over the Valley as cars slipped off roadways, and sometimes, into each other.
What started out as a single car crash on westbound Highway 180 turned into a six car pileup Sunday afternoon. The traffic mess was one of many -- as rain and hail pounded the Valley.
Earlier in the day, a pickup truck rolled off of Highway 180. Tou Thau said he was only driving about 50 miles an hour, but as a hailstorm moved into the area, he lost control of the truck. It flipped over and hit a tree before it came to rest at the bottom of the embankment.
"That's why, probably, I didn't die. If I didn't have my seatbelt on, I probably get thrown out on the freeway," said Thau.
Hail fell throughout the day Sunday, all over the valley. And in the mountains, it was the snow that made driving difficult.
The snow made for some slippery conditions for drivers on HWY 168, near Shaver Lake. Tow companies spent most of the Sunday morning pulling drivers out of snow banks.
"It's been very busy, people with no chains, two wheel drive people with chains that don't fit. It's just been pretty miserable out, pretty slick out, I recommend if you don't have chains, don't come up," said Andrew Jacobsen with Eagle Towing.
Though the California Highway Patrol responded to multiple spinouts, no one was seriously hurt.
local, rick montanez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe