Los Banos murder suspect turns himself in
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The primary suspect in a North Valley homicide that occurred on New Year's Day is now in custody.
19-year-old Salvador Rendon, Jr. is accused of killing 23-year-old Felipe Bravo, Jr.
Bravo was a student at the Merced College Los Banos campus, and detectives believe they have the person responsible for his death.
Salvador Rendon turned himself in last Thursday and family say they are relieved.
Family members of Bravo were relieved to find out the murder suspect turned himself in.
"I think this weekend has been one of the -- the first weekend that we've had where we have a little bit of peace," Flor Bravo, the victim's sister, said.
Merced County Sheriff's Deputies say 19-year-old Salvador Rendon, Jr. gave himself up on Thursday but has not admitted to the crime.
"I think he's a coward. I think he's just hiding behind his attorney and I have absolutely no sense of respect for this person. There's no sense of remorse or acceptance of what he did and I hope god has mercy on his soul because we don't," Flor Bravo said.
Deputies believe Rendon shot Bravo in Los Banos after he left a relative's house on New Years Eve.
Authorities found his body inside the trunk of a car in the Moss Landing area of Monterey County on New Years Day.
The victim's family posted signs of bravo junior in hopes of catching his killer.
"More than anything else we wanted justice for my brother but we also wanted to make sure that no other family would have to deal with the heartache that we felt these last 3 months," Flor Bravo said.
Investigators intensified their search for the suspect thought to have run away south of the border.
"We thought we were going to have to look for him in Mexico and we were willing and ready to do so, so there is some sense of closure," Flor Bravo said.
Now the family is offering a $10,000 reward for any new information that leads to additional arrests in this case.
los banos, crimetracker, murder, merced county, local, carlos saucedo
- Two killed in shooting near Exeter 41 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings
- Combat vehicles in east Ukraine fly Russian flag
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"