Los Banos murder suspect set free
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- The suspect who was arrested in connection with the murder of a Los Banos man is free after being released from the Merced County Jail Tuesday evening.
Salvador Rendon, Jr., 19, turned himself into authorities last week after he was named a suspect in the death of 23 year old Felipe Bravo, Jr. Bravo was last seen at a Los Banos home on New Year's Eve. His body was found the next day in Monterey County.
Bravo's family says they now feel victimized by the criminal justice system. "We were hoping this was the beginning of the conviction, of the trial, and we are just devastated that he's being released," said Flor Bravo, the victim's sister.
The Merced College Student's body was discovered inside the trunk of his car in the Moss Landing area of Monterey County. The Merced County Sheriff's Department handled the investigation because they believe Bravo was killed in the valley. Just this month, they named Rendon a suspect. He turned himself in, but never admitted guilt.
The Bravo family's short-lived relief has turned into frustration. They're holding out hope and pleading with the public for help. "Somebody has to know. Please, please, if you can just give us the information we need so my family can have closure, some peace& please," said Bravo.
Bravo was the youngest of nine siblings. While family members wait for justice, they are bracing themselves for a somber milestone: opening day for their brother's favorite team. "He loved the Oakland A's and it's something we did every year. Sadly enough, he's not going to be there with us," said Bravo.
The Merced County Sheriff's Department said the investigation is still ongoing, but they have exhausted their leads. They're asking anyone with information to come forward. As an incentive, the victim's family is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to Felipe's killer.
los banos, crimetracker, murder, merced county, local, amanda perez
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2 2 min ago
- Reward raised to $100K to find Ryan Rodriquez
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos