Good Samaritan killed by hit-run drivers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Shacorie Hood, 22, died Wednesday morning after being hit crossing the freeway to help victims in a crash.
Officers say Hood was part of a group that tried to help another car that crashed on Highway 99 and McKinley. She rushed by ambulance Community Regional Medical Center with serious injures, but died hours later.
Officers describe a chaotic scene that resulted in two hit and run cases that they are now investigating.
Shacorie Hood and friends with her in the car, stopped to help two men inside a Buick sedan that slammed into the median in front of them on HWY 99. The CHP said, while Hood was crossing the freeway, she was hit by a passing car. Officers said the driver that hit her initially stopped, but eventually sped off as patrol cars got closer to the scene. That person is facing felony hit and run charges.
An ambulance rushed Hood to the hospital with major injuries just before 2 a.m. Wednesday morning. She later died from her injuries.
The two men in the Buick that Hood stopped to help, ran away on foot before officers arrived at the scene. The driver of the Buick is facing misdemeanor hit and run charges because officers say the two people in that car also ran away from the accident. Officers believe the two men in the Buick may have been gang members. They also say Hood and her friends may have known the men in the Buick.
The Highway Patrol did not say if rain was a factor in either crash. Officers say while they commend the women for pulling over and trying to help out, they say this incident serves as a reminder to not get involved -- especially when it comes to crossing a highway -- no matter what time of the day or night.
Friends of the woman hit by the car describe it as a light colored Honda or Toyota. So far that car and it's driver haven't been found.
hit and run, accident, fresno downtown, fresno, fresno chinatown, local
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno