Suspected Kingsburg thief runs over Fresno County man
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Kingsburg man was arrested on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and theft after sheriff's officials say he ran over the victim with his truck.
Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said 42-year-old Jerry Leslie Garcia was arrested Monday after the sheriff's office says he tried to run over a man trying to stop him from stealing fuel.
Deputies say the 26-year-old victim had been working at Darling Tire and Oil near Selma when he heard two vehicles, a red truck and a gray sedan, leaving the yard. The victim believed they had just stolen fuel from a pump at the shop, then started chasing them in his car.
Deputies say the victim caught up to the red truck and stopped to write down the license plate number. According to Sheriff Mims, Garcia suddenly backed up the truck, hitting the victim and knocking him to the ground. The truck continued in reverse, running over the victim.
The Sheriff said the victim was able to get up and attempted to pull Garcia from the truck. Mims said Garcia again accelerated in reverse, hitting the victim's car.
Both the car and the truck then fled the scene. Deputies later found Garcia and the truck at a home in Selma and was arrested without incident.
Deputies also found the gray sedan. Deputies say Garcia's girlfriend was driving the car. She cooperated with deputies and was not arrested.
The victim sustained only minor injuries.
theft, crimetracker, kingsburg, selma, fresno county, local
- Sheriff: Colo. school shooter wounds 1, kills self 4 min ago
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb plot 45 min ago
- American missing in Iran was on unapproved CIA mission 12 min ago
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released
- Mega Millions jackpot raises to $425 million
- Fresno City Council holds public hearing on Westlake development
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- abcnews: Paul Ryan Says Presidential Ambitions Not...
- LA psychic, husband charged with curse scam
- California prostitutes win victim compensation
- Chaos, gunbattles, hungry kids in Central African Republic
- Lawmakers frustrated, optimistic about farm bill
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students