Valley CEO to hero volunteer
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- When the time comes, most working folks look forward to retiring and smelling the roses.
13 years has flown by for Al Perry, the director on the VA Central California Healthcare System. In 1998 this 1950's circa hospital desperately needed leadership and money. After decades of neglect the veteran's administration sent both.
Veterans of all ages now routinely utilize the benefits it now offers... a modern hospital from top to bottom.
We've virtually renovated ever square inch of patient car, the wards, the clinics the operating rooms.
The staff of 1-thousand is supported by as many volunteers... and they love working for Perry. Like this Iraq/Afghanistan veteran, whose volunteer team insures that patients' needs are met as they arrive. "I have this team we survey the parking lot and make sure people get help when they need it," Chad Kingus said.
Some 35,000 Valley veterans are eligible for services here. Three-thousand vet's from the current war are enrolled. Perry credits his staff for the care veterans receive. His employees will tell you that's because he walks the walk he talks. "Some people are wired to take their energy from people. I guess I'm like that. I thrive being around really talented people and getting good things done."
What's next? Time with family... and shrinking his bucket list of mountains to climb.
local, nancy osborne
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 9 min ago
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 4 min ago
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- Near drownings on the rise
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 7 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved...
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos