1 dead, 1 in critical condition in SW Fresno shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One man is dead, and another person is in critical condition, following a drive-by shooting in Southwest Fresno. It happened on Reverend Chester Riggins Avenue and Lotus.
Maurice Lewis saw the entire scene unfold Wednesday, as he and his wife were heading to the store. "We hopped in the car. As we were busting a u-turn, I heard a bunch of gunshots and I seen a car come through and I seen an arm hanging out with gun shots and you just heard, pow pow pow, so I just back up into the alley cause the gun was pointed my way."
The car took off, but Fresno Police were not far behind. They had received a call just minutes before the shooting -- regarding some type of disturbance in the area.
Lt. Anthony Martinez said, "And officers were actively patrolling the area already and were beginning to converge on what they thought was a disturbance call when they were updated it had been a drive-by shooting which is why they were able to jump on the car and get the people detained."
One person inside the car, a Hispanic man in his twenties, was shot at least once. Investigators say he and others inside the car drove by a home on Lotus and started shooting at a group of people standing outside. That's when one or more people fired back.
A man at the home later died at the hospital. The victim inside the car, was listed in critical, but stable condition Wednesday night.
Police say this shooting is gang related.
crimetracker, shooting, fresno, fresno southwest, fresno county, local
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts 23 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor 5 min ago
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno 32 min ago
- Fresno shopping cart crackdown to cut crime?
23 min ago