Hundreds lose jobs as Fowler plant shuts doors
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Hundreds of people are out of a job after a decades old packing company shut its doors in Fowler.
Jet Plastica says it has no money to compensate its employees.
One woman who was too scared to show her face told Action News she's stressed out because the company is shutting its doors and she's not getting any money, even though she's been with the company for 10 years.
She and a handful of other Jet Plastica employees talked to Action News after their shifts ended. All of them are frustrated and angry.
"It's going to be hard. No income so that's the hard part, trying to provide," one employee said.
Just last week management at the Fowler straw-making plant told its 113 employees that the company would be closing between June 1 and 30. The city was also notified in writing that the closure is permanent.
"The loss of jobs is going to affect the City of Fowler, City of Selma, Parlier, Reedley, Sanger, Fresno. The majority of people who work in Fowler reside in Fresno and Clovis areas," Fowler city manager David Elias said.
Elias said he offered money through state assisted programs to help Jet Plastica keep its doors open. His offer was refused.
"We were going through the process but then they broke off the application process. We were willing to loan them money for equipment," Elias said.
Jet Plastica's chief operating officer in Pennsylvania tells Action News that the offer wasn't sustainable and that the company doesn't have any money to compensate its employees.
Their customers, most of the common fast food chains like McDonalds, Burger King and Subway were also notified.
Employees say they have no choice but to look for another way to feed their families.
fresno county, fowler, economy, local
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe