Boy, 1, dies in Easter Sunday hit-run
TEVISTON, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities are still looking for the 21-year-old driver who struck and killed a 1-year-old child crossing the street.
The California Highway Patrol is looking for 21-year-old Eduardo Morales after investigators say he struck and killed a one-year-old boy as he was crossing Avenue 80 Sunday evening. The CHP is looking into whether alcohol was a factor in the hit and run.
Officer Scott Harris said, "Some of the family members indicated that at some point in the day he may have been drinking something but again that's speculation and we really need to talk to him about to it to make sure."
Family members tell Action News that Daniel was supposed to turn two on May 20th. The boy is from Orosi but was in the small community of Teviston south of Pixley to see family for Easter. They say earlier in the day he had fun taking part in a family Easter egg hunt in the backyard.
The victim's uncle, Paulvalio Paz told Action News, "In this moment we're very hurt we're confused and in shock about what happened."
The accident happened at 6:30 at night. Officers believe that the child was playing by himself, when Morales struck and killed him.
Family members say the car did not even stop. They say luckily, the driver behind him saw the accident and that Morales had just pulled out from a house a few doors down.
Officers say there were plenty of witnesses to the accident. "There may have been a couple of children on the other side of the street I've also heard as well that he may have been going towards them or something like that but again either way it's a very tragic accident for someone so little to be killed," Officer Scott Harris said.
Paz said, "All I want to say that everyone needs to pay closer attention, pay attention to where your kids are and drive slower in places that are rural."
The CHP says Eduardo Morales was driving a tan, older model Chevy Impala. They are urging him to come forward to give the family some closure.
tulare county, accident, hit and run, local, jessica peres
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka 3 min ago
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- Accuweather Forecast
45 min ago