Valley Christians celebrate Easter
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Christians all over the Valley celebrated Easter Sunday with special services and a day of relaxation and reflection.
Hundreds of people packed into St. Johns Cathedral Sunday evening for one of their last services. So many people there for earlier services, that many had to stand.
Easter means family and gathering. Alheli Cuenca and her family joined hundreds of Catholics lining up for a chance to score a seat at Sunday morning's Easter service at St. John's Cathedral in Downtown Fresno. "Really it's the church gathering together and this is one of our main holidays."
Church organizers say about 900 people attended the morning service. So many of the faithful packed the pews that quite a few had to stand.
In Northwest Fresno the congregation at Celebration Church took in a nontraditional service. "It is really the message of Easter done in more of a theatrical type of setting with songs and performances," said Pastor Rick Jimenez with Celebration Church.
Before the show, kids got a chance to soak in an Easter Wonderland. After church crowds gathered to enjoy an Easter lunch at the Radisson Hotel in Downtown Fresno. About 800 people showed up throughout the day.
fresno downtown, fresno northwest, fresno, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos