Hoover High School teacher-student sex case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- According to Fresno Police investigators, an inappropriate relationship between a Fresno Unified teacher and a minor student had been going on for more than six months prior to her arrest.
Police arrested 29-year-old Megan Denman Monday. The Hoover High School teacher is accused of three felony charges including sex with a minor. Police said the inappropriate relationship was still going on when they arrested Denman. "The student was under 18 years old when the actions took place and the victim was a student at Hoover High School," said Sgt. Nina Jacobs with the Fresno Police Department.
Police didn't release many more details citing the ongoing investigation, but said the investigation began April 5 after a patrol officer learned of the allegations and notified detectives. Denman was taken into custody four days later. While the investigation continues, the teacher has been placed on paid administrative leave.
Denman is described as a popular and well liked teacher and parents are having a hard time dealing with the allegations against her. "It's just not good. It's just not good no matter what. It's not a good deal," said parent Larry Licon.
While parents wait for the truth to come out, they expressed disappointment and shock. Monica Rocha has three teenagers at Hoover High School and said the allegations are causing friction in her family. "It's like, 'You don't understand, mom'. I do understand, I do. It's just you don't understand from an adult point of view. Not only was it an adult -- it was a teacher," said Rocha.
A spokesperson for Fresno Unified said the district's automated phone messaging system will be used to notify parents about the situation. At this point, police have found no evidence any other victims were involved or that any illegal activity happened on campus.
sex crimes, crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- Accuweather Forecast
3 min ago