Hoover High School teacher-student sex case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- According to Fresno Police investigators, an inappropriate relationship between a Fresno Unified teacher and a minor student had been going on for more than six months prior to her arrest.
Police arrested 29-year-old Megan Denman Monday. The Hoover High School teacher is accused of three felony charges including sex with a minor. Police said the inappropriate relationship was still going on when they arrested Denman. "The student was under 18 years old when the actions took place and the victim was a student at Hoover High School," said Sgt. Nina Jacobs with the Fresno Police Department.
Police didn't release many more details citing the ongoing investigation, but said the investigation began April 5 after a patrol officer learned of the allegations and notified detectives. Denman was taken into custody four days later. While the investigation continues, the teacher has been placed on paid administrative leave.
Denman is described as a popular and well liked teacher and parents are having a hard time dealing with the allegations against her. "It's just not good. It's just not good no matter what. It's not a good deal," said parent Larry Licon.
While parents wait for the truth to come out, they expressed disappointment and shock. Monica Rocha has three teenagers at Hoover High School and said the allegations are causing friction in her family. "It's like, 'You don't understand, mom'. I do understand, I do. It's just you don't understand from an adult point of view. Not only was it an adult -- it was a teacher," said Rocha.
A spokesperson for Fresno Unified said the district's automated phone messaging system will be used to notify parents about the situation. At this point, police have found no evidence any other victims were involved or that any illegal activity happened on campus.
sex crimes, crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Fire Safety