Hoover High School teacher-student sex case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- According to Fresno Police investigators, an inappropriate relationship between a Fresno Unified teacher and a minor student had been going on for more than six months prior to her arrest.
Police arrested 29-year-old Megan Denman Monday. The Hoover High School teacher is accused of three felony charges including sex with a minor. Police said the inappropriate relationship was still going on when they arrested Denman. "The student was under 18 years old when the actions took place and the victim was a student at Hoover High School," said Sgt. Nina Jacobs with the Fresno Police Department.
Police didn't release many more details citing the ongoing investigation, but said the investigation began April 5 after a patrol officer learned of the allegations and notified detectives. Denman was taken into custody four days later. While the investigation continues, the teacher has been placed on paid administrative leave.
Denman is described as a popular and well liked teacher and parents are having a hard time dealing with the allegations against her. "It's just not good. It's just not good no matter what. It's not a good deal," said parent Larry Licon.
While parents wait for the truth to come out, they expressed disappointment and shock. Monica Rocha has three teenagers at Hoover High School and said the allegations are causing friction in her family. "It's like, 'You don't understand, mom'. I do understand, I do. It's just you don't understand from an adult point of view. Not only was it an adult -- it was a teacher," said Rocha.
A spokesperson for Fresno Unified said the district's automated phone messaging system will be used to notify parents about the situation. At this point, police have found no evidence any other victims were involved or that any illegal activity happened on campus.
sex crimes, crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- 700 Carstens Fire evacuees will be allowed home
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop 14 min ago
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails
- FPD seize weapons from gang members
- Accuweather Forecast
39 min ago