Elderly Fresno Co man shot in the face during home invasion
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- An 80-year-old man is in the hospital following a home invasion in eastern Fresno County.
Fresno County Sheriff's deputies said the elderly victim's son walked in on the violent attack.
The attack happened in the Fresno County foothills near Squaw Valley. The home is on Elwood Road, just past Lupine.
Deputies said the victim was shot in the face, beaten, and then tied up. His adult son, who was also attacked, remained at the home helping investigators gather details about the crime.
Investigators are now searching for the men's attackers.
A medical helicopter rushed Bill Gaede to the hospital Thursday evening. Fresno County deputies said Gaede was shot in the face after he walked in on two men in his garage.
"He was immediately shot one time in the face," said Sheriff's Deputy Chris Curtice. "He was beaten with a blunt object... his feet were bound. A towel was put over his head."
Deputies said the two suspects demanded cash, guns and ammunition. Not long after the initial attack, deputies said, Gaede's son Wolfgang , showed up at the home as well.
"He was immediately met by the same two suspects who drove him to the ground. He was also bound with bailing wire," Curtice said. The home was ransacked by the suspects, according to deputies. After the suspects left, Gaede' s son cut himself and his father free with a pocket knife then called 911.
Family friends tell Action News Gaede lives in the rural home by himself. Deputies said the motive for the home invasion is unknown right now.
Deputies said there are at least two suspects, but there may be a third man who was with the pair.
The suspects, authorities said, left in a white car heading toward Squaw Valley. They are described as white men in their 40's, both are about 5'10" with thin builds. One has shoulder length blonde hair and the other has short brown hair.
crimetracker, home invasion, shooting, fresno county, squaw valley, fresno, local, rick montanez
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course 7 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos