Top 10 US cities for cyber crime
April 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Chicago ranks third in the nation in the origin of cybercrime.
Chicago ranked behind New York and Atlanta, according to ThreatMetrix, the cybercrime prevention company that conducted the study.
A release called big cities like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles a "gold mine for cybercriminals" who steal identities, passwords and credit cards.
"As fraudsters grow more sophisticated and expand globally, it's only natural that large cities with international profiles, easy access to shipping and high connectivity rates will become breeding grounds for new generations of cyber threats, including both fraud and malware," Alisdair Faulkner, ThreatMetrix, said in the release.
The top 10 list of U.S. cities for fraud origination, according to threatmetrix.com are:
1. New York
4. Los Angeles
7. San Francisco
9. Washington D.C.
10. Lexington, KY
- 700 Carstens Fire evacuees allowed home 41 min ago
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails
- FPD seize weapons from gang members