Teenager arrested in a SE Fresno arson investigation
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- People in a Southeast Fresno neighborhood are feeling a bit of relief after fire investigators arrested a teenager in connection to one of two arsons in the area. Investigators believe the 17-year-old male is responsible for one fire and he's being called a person of interest in the other case.
The first fire happened on Saturday evening, March 25. From the start, neighbors suspected teenagers who were seen running from the home. The next day their concern turned to fear as another house just down the road also caught fire. "There has been a little uneasiness in the neighborhood, people watching more," said neighbor Leonard Ramos.
Both homes were vacant and no one was hurt. But ever since the fires, neighbors have been on heightened alert. "Two blocks away there's another vacant house and I was wondering the other day when I passed it, 'I hope that doesn't be set on fire.' It's scary," said neighbor Mary Wright.
Fresno fire investigators said good witness descriptions helped lead to the arrest. Though they believe several teens may have been hanging in and around the vacant homes, they were able to narrow their investigation down to just one. "I'm very confident we have a person responsible for a minimum of one of the fires and hopefully he'll be learning his lesson," said Don MacAlpine, Fresno's Deputy Fire Marshal.
The 17-year-old suspect isn't being identified because he is a juvenile. At this point, he is facing a felony arson charge.
crimetracker, arson, fresno southeast, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Mariposa fire evacuees are heading home
- Brian Calhoun pleads not guilty in student attack
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Panel restores some pay for California lawmakers, governor
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks