Teenager arrested in a SE Fresno arson investigation
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- People in a Southeast Fresno neighborhood are feeling a bit of relief after fire investigators arrested a teenager in connection to one of two arsons in the area. Investigators believe the 17-year-old male is responsible for one fire and he's being called a person of interest in the other case.
The first fire happened on Saturday evening, March 25. From the start, neighbors suspected teenagers who were seen running from the home. The next day their concern turned to fear as another house just down the road also caught fire. "There has been a little uneasiness in the neighborhood, people watching more," said neighbor Leonard Ramos.
Both homes were vacant and no one was hurt. But ever since the fires, neighbors have been on heightened alert. "Two blocks away there's another vacant house and I was wondering the other day when I passed it, 'I hope that doesn't be set on fire.' It's scary," said neighbor Mary Wright.
Fresno fire investigators said good witness descriptions helped lead to the arrest. Though they believe several teens may have been hanging in and around the vacant homes, they were able to narrow their investigation down to just one. "I'm very confident we have a person responsible for a minimum of one of the fires and hopefully he'll be learning his lesson," said Don MacAlpine, Fresno's Deputy Fire Marshal.
The 17-year-old suspect isn't being identified because he is a juvenile. At this point, he is facing a felony arson charge.
crimetracker, arson, fresno southeast, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks 20 min ago
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course 3 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program 25 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic...
14 min ago
- Lawsuit filed after fight at Fresno's Elbow...
9 min ago
- Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
25 min ago