Vehicles found in Sammy Mercado missing teen case
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two pickup trucks wanted in connection with the disappearance of a missing teen were found in an almond orchard near Hayes and Whitesbridge (HWY 180), west of Fresno.
The owner of the property found the vehicles around 12:30 p.m. The owner said the trucks were not on the property Thursday morning when he owner did a check of the orchard.
Sheriff's detectives did not find the missing teen and investigators have not said if there was any evidence found with the vehicles.
"They did do a search of the area of the orchard. I don't know what if anything they found. They didn't feel the need to stay here anymore. We have two other detectives working this aspect of it, the recovery of the two vehicles," said Chris Curtice with the Fresno County Sheriff's Office.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Department is still looking for 21-year-old Ernie Chanmany, who is wanted for questioning in the case.
Deputies say both of the pick up trucks that were abandonded here belong to the family of Chanmany. On Wednesday, Chanmany was named a person of interest in the case.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Department say Sammy Mercado and two other people intended to steal marijuana from a grow operation on the southwest corner of Annadale and Willow. As Mercado exited their car, two men came out of a homemade hut on the grow site, and one of the men started shooting.
The sheriff's department says the two people with Mercado fled the scene. They say he was last seen laying on the ground next to the marijuana grow.
The sheriff's department says Mercado may have been shot.
Anyone with information about Sammy Mercado's disapearance is urged to call the Fresno County Sheriff's Office at 488-3111.
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this Breaking News.
crimetracker, missing person, shooting, marijuana, sanger, fresno southwest, kerman, fresno, fresno county, fresno county sheriff department, clovis, local, rick montanez
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled 11 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course 39 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos