Families torn apart in fatal Fresno DUI crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Cecilia Cerda and her little brother Robert grew up with Jesus Miguel Corrales. The 21-year-old is now accused in the death of his friend.
Police say Corrales was driving a green Camaro and lost control after a "speed contest" with another car. Robert Vasquez, 19, died at the scene.
Cecilia and her family have gone to court a few times since the accident. But find it too difficult to see a former friend accused in a family member's death.
CHP Officer Corde Spencer said, "Because of his drinking he made the poor decision to be driving and then race and then get involved in an accident."
Investigators told the court that his blood alcohol level was above the legal limit and initially, Corrales wouldn't tell officers that he was the one driving. He's now charged with vehicular manslaughter, DUI, and a host of other charges.
At his preliminary hearing, his defense attorney questioned his actual speed on that fateful night, and questioned the impact, from the other car.
A Fresno County judge decided there's enough evidence for Corrales to go to trial. Corrales will be back in court in May.
crimetracker, dui, accident, fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police 38 min ago
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign 13 min ago
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos