Families torn apart in fatal Fresno DUI crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Cecilia Cerda and her little brother Robert grew up with Jesus Miguel Corrales. The 21-year-old is now accused in the death of his friend.
Police say Corrales was driving a green Camaro and lost control after a "speed contest" with another car. Robert Vasquez, 19, died at the scene.
Cecilia and her family have gone to court a few times since the accident. But find it too difficult to see a former friend accused in a family member's death.
CHP Officer Corde Spencer said, "Because of his drinking he made the poor decision to be driving and then race and then get involved in an accident."
Investigators told the court that his blood alcohol level was above the legal limit and initially, Corrales wouldn't tell officers that he was the one driving. He's now charged with vehicular manslaughter, DUI, and a host of other charges.
At his preliminary hearing, his defense attorney questioned his actual speed on that fateful night, and questioned the impact, from the other car.
A Fresno County judge decided there's enough evidence for Corrales to go to trial. Corrales will be back in court in May.
crimetracker, dui, accident, fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180 4 min ago
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash 56 min ago
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Photos: Selfless acts that will brighten your day
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway...
6 min ago