Toddler falls into a NE Fresno pool and drowns
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Fire Department responded to a drowning call at a home on East Ashcroft, near Fresno and Gettysburg, in northeast Fresno Thursday evening.
A 19-month-old boy fell into the family's swimming pool just before 6 o'clock.
Emergency crews rushed the boy to the emergency room where he was pronounced dead.
Action News spoke with the boy's grandfather. He identified the toddler as 19-month-old Epolito Sanchez.
Family members tell Action News they were getting ready for a family outing when Epolito wandered off. Jose Vara, Epolito's grandfather, told Action News Epolito found his way through the backyard fence and fell into the pool.
Vara said when Epolito was pulled from the water he was already purple. Fresno police officers performed CPR.
The Fresno Police Department told Action News there is a fence around the pool. But, it's not clear whether that fence was open.
Epolito would have been two years old in September.
drowning, fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, local, rick montanez
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay 34 min ago
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos