Family holds out hope for missing teen
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It's a story of hope despite long odds. Family members and friends of Sammy Mercado are not giving up. They are posting and passing out flyers with pictures of the missing teen. They are hoping somebody knows what happened to the 16 year old and where he is. His Aunt, Sylvia Garza is leading the effort. "We're going to find him. We have high hopes. We don't want to give up."
Mercado was last seen in an illegal marijuana garden east of Sanger eight days ago. He and two buddies were there to steal marijuana plants. But a man who was guarding the garden started shooting at the boys. Sammy fell down and his friends drove away. They told Sheriff's Deputies that when they came back, Sammy was gone.
Detectives have identified a person of interest in the case. He is Ernie Chanmany of Fresno. He is facing felony weapons charges in another case. Two trucks owned by his family were found abandoned in an orchard on Thursday. It's believed the trucks were in the marijuana garden when Mercado disappeared. Sylvia Garza believes Chanmany is on the run. "I'm assuming his family is hiding him somewhere," she told Action News.
While investigators try to solve this mystery, those who care about Sammy Mercado are doing what they can to find him. Reyes Chavez was busy putting up missing persons flyers in Sanger. He said, "it's because he was a friend of mine, and I'm also tired of all the violence in the community."
local, gene haagenson
- Fresno woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Suspicious bags found by Boston Marathon scene
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast 19 min ago
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers 58 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Tulare County-based drug smuggling ring busted
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Photos: Blood Moon seen across Valley skies
- Man rushes past security at Fresno airport