Increase in crime at vacant homes in SE Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Police Department has seen an increase in crime at vacant homes in Southeast Fresno. Through a new campaign, Community Service Officers within the department are going door to door asking for the public's help to curb the criminal activity.
"Hi, we're going around the neighborhood today," said Lindsay Hughes, a community service officer with the Fresno Police Department. She has been talking with residents in Southeast Fresno about the rise in crime found inside vacant homes.
"I would just see a couple people in and out breaking windows, sleeping in the back," said Racquel Aguilar. The foreclosed house across Aguilar's residence has been empty for almost two years and in that time has attracted many unwanted guests. Officers say vacant houses with unattended lawns attract squatters and illegal activity. "People are using the garages as chop shops, they're doing drug activity in the homes. They're stealing property from inside the homes," said Hughes.
Early this month, Fresno Police arrested 28 year old Kachai Lee for using a vacant home to buy, sell and use narcotics. And police are trying to put a stop to these crimes by asking neighbors to keep an eye on the empty units and report suspicious activity. "The neighbors are a little reluctant to call the police because they fear retaliation. We talked to a couple of neighbors who were afraid of that because the nature of the people who are coming around are pretty questionable," said Hughes.
"I really don't feel too safe because there's always the time when my kids are out by themselves at home and they can do something," said Gloria Herrera. Herrera lives next to a property that's gone unrented for a year but has seen a lot of crime. "A lot of vandalism. A lot of homeless people breaking into homes. Some of the kids breaking in having parties," said Herrera.
Residents just hope the new vigilance campaign curbs the criminal activity and makes their neighborhoods safer.
crimetracker, fresno police department, fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, local, carlos saucedo
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 20 min ago
- USC routs No. 21 Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos