Fresno searchers recover body of drowned man in river
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno search and rescue officials have recovered the body of a young man who drowned after trying to swim in the San Joaquin River.
20-year-old Nick Gilbert was following some friends when he tried to cross the river on Sunday and was swept under water.
The Fresno Fire Department, American Ambulance and other agencies sent diving teams, a rescue boat and a helicopter to search for the man but did not find him.
Officials warn that the San Joaquin is cold and deep with a fast-moving current this time of the year due to snow melt.
san joaquin river, fresno, fresno county, drowning, accident, local
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos