Girl, 2, hospitalized for ingesting meth in Tulare County
PORTERVILLE, Calif. (KFSN) -- South Valley investigators say a toddler is in the hospital after she ingested "meth".
The Tulare County Sheriff's Office has arrested the two people who were watching the child Friday morning.
21-year-old Jose Tapia and 23-year-old Janet Cerritos are in jail, facing child endangerment charges.
Investigators said the pair took the two year old girl to a hospital in Porterville early Friday.
The toddler was suffering from a high temperature and seizures. The Tulare County Sheriff's Office said a 2-year-old girl tested positive for methamphetamine Friday after she was brought to the Sierra View District Hospital.
Investigators said Jose Tapia and Janet Cerritos were responsible for the child at the time. They rushed her to the hospital after she began sweating profusely and then began having seizures.
"Originally, they brought the child in with the symptoms, didn't explain how the symptoms would possibly be there," said Sgt. Chris Douglass.
Once the child tested positive for meth investigators searched a home on south Walnut Street in Porterville. "We did do a search warrant on the home," Sgt. Douglass said. "Methamphetamine was not found in the home but we did find paraphernalia."
How Tapia and Cerritos are related to the child is not being released at this time - to protect her identity.
Douglass said it's unfortunate Tapia and Cerritos didn't tell doctors about the meth immediately as it could have helped in her medical care.
The little girl is in doctor's care at Children's Hospital Central California in Madera County.
crimetracker, drug bust, tulare county, porterville, local, rick montanez
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno 1 min ago
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos