Funeral services held for former DA Ed Hunt
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Ed Hunt served as Fresno County's District Attorney for 20 years. His term from 1982 to 2002 was the longest in county history.
At services today in Fresno's First Presbyterian church he was remembered as being tough on crime, at a time when the county's crime rate was soaring.
"He was tough." That's how current District Attorney Elizabeth Egan describes Hunt.
Egan credits Hunt with launching innovative programs that helped turn back the crime wave of the 90s.
"He really started bridging the gaps between the law enforcement agenices in the county. When he started MAGEC with Chief Winchester and Sheriff Magarian, that was revolutionary."
Former Fresno County Sheriff Steve Magarian says Hunt was a reliable partner.
"He was a crime fighter, I think really he missed his thing in life, he really wanted to be a cop, I think he was a cops best friend, he supported us 100%."
Even his eulogy, delivered by the Reverend H. Spees highlighted his tough on crime and criminals approach. "His office sent thirteen people to death row," Spees said.
Ed Hunt was considered a key player in getting California's' controversial Three Strikes law passed, but friends say he was more than a crime fighter.
Fresno County Supervisor Susan Anderson served under Hunt as a Deputy DA. "I really liked Ed. I walked precincts for him 30 years ago. I valued his friendship," Anderson said.
Egan said Hunt had a soft and compassionate side.
"Ed had a huge heart that he covered with a tough guy bravado," Egan said.
A long line of patrol cars form local law enforcement agencies lead the funeral procession to the cemetery, where Hunt a veteran was buried with full military honors,
Magarain said: "I'm going to miss him a lot. He was a great friend."
fresno county, elizabeth egan, local, gene haagenson
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting 49 min ago
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man 55 min ago
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal