Convicted Fresno murderer found to be sane
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Jurors ruled Joey Jesse Lopez was sane at the time he killed Richard Hernandez at a Central Fresno gas station parking lot.
The incident happened back in 2009 - just a few hours after Lopez was released from a psych ward.
During the trial - defense attorney Jim Lambe said doctors missed a mental illness because Lopez wasn't thoroughly examined, but prosecutors argued he gave clear instructions to a getaway driver, hid from police and was clearly in control when investigators interviewed him after he was caught.
Deputy District Attorney, Jeff Dupras said, "Pleased, very pleased for the victims in this case. This case is well over two years old. Huge tragedy for them when you send your loved one off to work and you get a call they've been murdered."
Defense Attorney, Jim Lambe said, "Because of the lengthy psychiatric history, release from a mental facility six hours before, that's why I felt a not guilty by reason of insanity verdict."
Lopez is now scheduled for sentencing May 31st. He faces up to 51 years to life in prison.
crimetracker, murder, court, shooting, fresno police department, local
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos