Convicted Fresno murderer found to be sane
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Jurors ruled Joey Jesse Lopez was sane at the time he killed Richard Hernandez at a Central Fresno gas station parking lot.
The incident happened back in 2009 - just a few hours after Lopez was released from a psych ward.
During the trial - defense attorney Jim Lambe said doctors missed a mental illness because Lopez wasn't thoroughly examined, but prosecutors argued he gave clear instructions to a getaway driver, hid from police and was clearly in control when investigators interviewed him after he was caught.
Deputy District Attorney, Jeff Dupras said, "Pleased, very pleased for the victims in this case. This case is well over two years old. Huge tragedy for them when you send your loved one off to work and you get a call they've been murdered."
Defense Attorney, Jim Lambe said, "Because of the lengthy psychiatric history, release from a mental facility six hours before, that's why I felt a not guilty by reason of insanity verdict."
Lopez is now scheduled for sentencing May 31st. He faces up to 51 years to life in prison.
crimetracker, murder, court, shooting, fresno police department, local
- Pedestrian killed in HWY 99 hit and run in Fresno 3 min ago
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos