Increasing fire awareness among senior citizens
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Fire Department is making a conscious effort to increase awareness among local senior citizens.
Two deadly Fresno fires in less than a month motivated the fire department to create a large-scale community partnership called Fire Intervention to help Reduce Risk to the Elderly or Project FIRRE.
Inspectors spent the day looking through units at the Senior Village Apartments in Southeast Fresno to make sure homes were fire safe.
"This community reached out to us for information and we just saw that as a moment where we've got a receptive audience," Mike Despain said. "They want to hear the message. We want to get our message out. So that's why we partnered up and why we're here today."
The Fresno Fire Department hopes to conduct these voluntary inspections every six months.
fire, safety, fresno, fresno county, local, tommy tran
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Young woman dies in hit-run crash on Highway 99
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack