Increasing fire awareness among senior citizens
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Fire Department is making a conscious effort to increase awareness among local senior citizens.
Two deadly Fresno fires in less than a month motivated the fire department to create a large-scale community partnership called Fire Intervention to help Reduce Risk to the Elderly or Project FIRRE.
Inspectors spent the day looking through units at the Senior Village Apartments in Southeast Fresno to make sure homes were fire safe.
"This community reached out to us for information and we just saw that as a moment where we've got a receptive audience," Mike Despain said. "They want to hear the message. We want to get our message out. So that's why we partnered up and why we're here today."
The Fresno Fire Department hopes to conduct these voluntary inspections every six months.
fire, safety, fresno, fresno county, local, tommy tran
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180 1 min ago
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash 52 min ago
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Photos: Selfless acts that will brighten your day