Orange Cove woman accused of sex with a minor
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno County woman is in jail, accused of having a sexual relationship with her teenage neighbor. Orange Cove police arrested 36-year-old Dinorah Montero. The victim in this case was 16 when the alleged crime started.
Montero has been in jail since Thursday night -- held on $5,000 bail. Based on evidence, and interviews with neighbors, detectives believe the relationship lasted a year, and that it all started after Montero asked the teen to do yard work.
Orange Cove detectives began investigating Dinorah Montero two weeks ago. That's when a woman came to police and told them Montero was having sex with her teenage son.
"We're very sure of one incident that occurred fairly recently there's a strong indication there were incidents prior to that," said Orange Cove Police Chief Frank Steenport.
According to Chief Steenport, the relationship started back in 2011. He says Montero, who has young children of her own, started asking the 16-year-old to work on her yard. "At some point, it appears that the victim was invited into the house for payment and while in the house, things evolved into what happened."
Ironically, Montero and the alleged victim live on the same street as police headquarters.
Action News stopped by every address on the street, but no one would confirm where the alleged crimes took place. One man, who lives nearby, was shocked to hear the news. "It makes you think, it makes you want to open your eyes and think about stuff that's going on, you know," said Alfred Lara of Orange Cove.
Montero has denied any wrongdoing. Meanwhile, detectives are looking to see if there are any more victims.
While this could wind up being an isolated crime, Chief Steenport said, "There could have been tremendous consequences coming out of this. Now, you have two families destroyed."
Montero's children are now in the custody of relatives. Because she is more than 10 years older than the alleged victim, she could face more charges.
sex crimes, orange cove, fresno, fresno county, local
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 14 min ago
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case