Benefit concert for injured pedi-cab driver in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A benefit concert was held Sunday night for a pedi-cab driver and a passenger who say they were injured when a car intentionally collided with them last month.
Friends say Jeff McDonald was a self employed pedi-cab driver, and since he was injured in a collision last month, he hasn't been able to work. Now his friends are throwing that benefit concert at Audie's Olympic Tavern to help McDonald pay his medical bills.
Laura Splotch is setting up items for a silent auction and gift giveaway for people at Jeff McDonald's benefit concert. Many of the items were hand made or donated by artists and bands from Fresno's Tower District. Money raised Sunday evening will go to McDonald and passenger.
"It's been really tough, you know. We put together this benefit so they can help pay their medical bills and stuff," said Laura Splotch of Fresno. Hundreds are expected to show up to watch six local bands play inside this bar.
"Whatever we can do to make money for my friends -- for our friends. Jeff's an icon in the neighborhood," said Splotch. Jeff McDonald says last month he was driving his pedi-cab in the Tower District when he got into a confrontation with a motorist. McDonald says Juan Estrada Junior is that motorist.
Estrada appeared for a preliminary hearing Friday where a judge ruled there is enough evidence for Estrada to be go to trial. He's being charged with four counts of assault with a deadly weapon.
McDonald had three passengers in his pedi-cab when he says Estrada backed into them several times. And since McDonald's injuries keep him from working, friends hope enough people fill this bar as a fun way to offer support.
There is a $10 cover charge to get into the concert, and the event will go on until about 11:30 Sunday night.
benefit, fresno tower district, fresno, fresno county, local
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels 23 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing 48 min ago
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Fresno County man arrested after running from deputies
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases