Undercover drug bust at Woodlake High School
WOODLAKE, Calif. (KFSN) -- Another undercover drug bust at a South Valley high school results in the arrest of two students.
18-year-olds Steven Cruz and Martin Velasco are facing charges for selling drugs on Woodlake High School's campus.
Police originally planned on having an officer pose as a student at Woodlake High for eight weeks. But when an undercover operation at a neighboring school district came out to the public -- they said they had to shut down their sting to protect the officer's safety.
A rise in the number of students on Woodlake High School's campus who were under the influence of drugs -- prompted superintendent Tim Hire to go to Woodlake Police for help.
Officials ultimately decided a young-looking Porterville Police officer posing undercover as a Woodlake High student would help catch some of the people responsible for selling narcotics on campus.
The three week sting lead to the arrest of two seniors -- Steven Cruz and Martin Velasco-Ramos. Cruz is accused of selling marijuana, Velasco-Ramos -- prescription drugs.
The undercover operation began the first week of March and was supposed to last eight weeks. However, a drug bust also involving an undercover officer at nearby Exeter High School -- prompted officials to cut their investigation short.
Students at Woodlake High School were shocked that an officer was posing as a student on campus. Some of Velasco-Ramos' friends came to his defense, adding that the officer had been pestering the student for weeks.
Police tell us that Woodlake High students can expect another sting like this next year. They believe the stings are effective in getting kids to think twice about selling or using drugs.
crimetracker, drug bust, woodlake, tulare county, tulare, visalia, exeter, local, jessica peres
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends 5 min ago
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos