Fresno police reveal details in officer-involved shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned more about an officer involved shooting in East Central Fresno Tuesday afternoon.
Investigators are now revealing the identity of the person killed.
Police Chief Jerry Dyer is offering us a few more details on the events that led up to this shooting as well as more information about the suspect.
The deceased man been identified as 30 year old Manuel Armenta, and police they believe he may have been under the influence of methamphetine at the time of the shooting.
Action News is also learning more about the officer involved in this shooting. He's described as a 17 year veteran of the department.
On Tuesday police said the suspect was armed with a screwdriver and today, police showed us that screwdriver recovered at the scene, saying it had been sharpened in order to be used as a weapon.
Chief Dyer said the officer tried to use Taser first but then opened fire after that Taser had no effect.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, officer involved shooting, local, amanda perez
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities
- FPU hopes Wilson is answer for women's hoops
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
- Valley gets cutting-edge way to treat skin blemishes
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos