Fresno police reveal details in officer-involved shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned more about an officer involved shooting in East Central Fresno Tuesday afternoon.
Investigators are now revealing the identity of the person killed.
Police Chief Jerry Dyer is offering us a few more details on the events that led up to this shooting as well as more information about the suspect.
The deceased man been identified as 30 year old Manuel Armenta, and police they believe he may have been under the influence of methamphetine at the time of the shooting.
Action News is also learning more about the officer involved in this shooting. He's described as a 17 year veteran of the department.
On Tuesday police said the suspect was armed with a screwdriver and today, police showed us that screwdriver recovered at the scene, saying it had been sharpened in order to be used as a weapon.
Chief Dyer said the officer tried to use Taser first but then opened fire after that Taser had no effect.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, officer involved shooting, local, amanda perez
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say 52 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest