Fresno police reveal details in officer-involved shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned more about an officer involved shooting in East Central Fresno Tuesday afternoon.
Investigators are now revealing the identity of the person killed.
Police Chief Jerry Dyer is offering us a few more details on the events that led up to this shooting as well as more information about the suspect.
The deceased man been identified as 30 year old Manuel Armenta, and police they believe he may have been under the influence of methamphetine at the time of the shooting.
Action News is also learning more about the officer involved in this shooting. He's described as a 17 year veteran of the department.
On Tuesday police said the suspect was armed with a screwdriver and today, police showed us that screwdriver recovered at the scene, saying it had been sharpened in order to be used as a weapon.
Chief Dyer said the officer tried to use Taser first but then opened fire after that Taser had no effect.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, officer involved shooting, local, amanda perez
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case