Merced man faces 16 years to life for wife's murder
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Merced man who killed his school teacher wife -- pleaded no contest to second degree murder.
Rodolfo "Rudy" Romero is now facing 16 years to life in prison. He stabbed his wife, Diane, to death in September of 2010. Police found her body in the couple's backyard swimming pool. Diane was a well-known elementary school teacher, and her death shocked the community.
Attorneys for both sides say they wanted to spare family members a potentially painful trial.
"I'm just hoping that it helps them get some closure," Rob Carroll said. "There's never any perfect ending to this, but I think it's a good legal resolution."
Jeffrey Tennenbaum said, "He didn't want to cause his sons any more pain, he wanted to take responsibility for the charges."
Romero is scheduled to be sentenced in July.
stabbing, murder, crimetracker, merced, merced county, local, sara sandrik
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword 22 min ago
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Car crashes into a parade injuring around 60 people
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos