Merced man faces 16 years to life for wife's murder
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Merced man who killed his school teacher wife -- pleaded no contest to second degree murder.
Rodolfo "Rudy" Romero is now facing 16 years to life in prison. He stabbed his wife, Diane, to death in September of 2010. Police found her body in the couple's backyard swimming pool. Diane was a well-known elementary school teacher, and her death shocked the community.
Attorneys for both sides say they wanted to spare family members a potentially painful trial.
"I'm just hoping that it helps them get some closure," Rob Carroll said. "There's never any perfect ending to this, but I think it's a good legal resolution."
Jeffrey Tennenbaum said, "He didn't want to cause his sons any more pain, he wanted to take responsibility for the charges."
Romero is scheduled to be sentenced in July.
stabbing, murder, crimetracker, merced, merced county, local, sara sandrik
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76