Merced man faces 16 years to life for wife's murder
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Merced man who killed his school teacher wife -- pleaded no contest to second degree murder.
Rodolfo "Rudy" Romero is now facing 16 years to life in prison. He stabbed his wife, Diane, to death in September of 2010. Police found her body in the couple's backyard swimming pool. Diane was a well-known elementary school teacher, and her death shocked the community.
Attorneys for both sides say they wanted to spare family members a potentially painful trial.
"I'm just hoping that it helps them get some closure," Rob Carroll said. "There's never any perfect ending to this, but I think it's a good legal resolution."
Jeffrey Tennenbaum said, "He didn't want to cause his sons any more pain, he wanted to take responsibility for the charges."
Romero is scheduled to be sentenced in July.
stabbing, murder, crimetracker, merced, merced county, local, sara sandrik
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos