Caustic substance found at Fresno IRS
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Federal investigators are trying to figure out who mailed a powdery substance to the Internal Revenue Service in Fresno.
It happened around 7:30 Monday morning at the IRS office on Butler and Winery in Southeast Fresno.
Employees were opening mail and found two different envelopes full of white powder. The fire department established a command center and their hazmat team determined the powder is caustic.
"When it gets on your skin, if your skin was moist or if you had water it would react it could cause burns or skin irritation," Sean Johnson of the Fresno Fire Department said,
The area was isolated and the fire department says none of the ten thousand employees who work there was injured.
The Treasury Department is now investigating.
hazmat, fresno fire department, fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, local
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley 7 min ago
- Tornado churns through Oklahoma City suburbs
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- The final push for California's 16th Senate seat
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos