Caustic substance found at Fresno IRS
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Federal investigators are trying to figure out who mailed a powdery substance to the Internal Revenue Service in Fresno.
It happened around 7:30 Monday morning at the IRS office on Butler and Winery in Southeast Fresno.
Employees were opening mail and found two different envelopes full of white powder. The fire department established a command center and their hazmat team determined the powder is caustic.
"When it gets on your skin, if your skin was moist or if you had water it would react it could cause burns or skin irritation," Sean Johnson of the Fresno Fire Department said,
The area was isolated and the fire department says none of the ten thousand employees who work there was injured.
The Treasury Department is now investigating.
hazmat, fresno fire department, fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, local
- USC routs No. 21 Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl 26 min ago
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 50 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Accuweather Forecast
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos