Bus Driver in 1976 Chowchilla kidnappings has died
CHOWCHILLA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Ed Ray was the driver of the Chowchilla school bus that was hijacked more than thirty years ago. He died Thursday at the age of 91, after a lengthy illness.
You may recall, Ray was driving a bus full of children back in 1976, when two men attempted to kidnap them, and bury them alive in a quarry in the Bay Area. Ray is credited with helping the 26 children escape. He retired in 1988.
Each of the kidnappers received life sentences without the possibility of parole.
chowchilla, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno 4 min ago
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts