Man in wheelchair hit by Porterville waste truck
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Porterville city waste truck hit and killed a pedestrian in a wheelchair on Monday.
It happened on D street near Olive Avenue.
Police say a 73-year old man was crossing the street in a marked crosswalk when the city truck hit him.
The victim had just come from a nearby laundromat where he goes every Monday morning.
"I got hysterical. It's hard enough to see an animal get hit but for a human being it was sad," witness Leticia Maldonado said.
The city employee involved in the crash is on paid administrative leave until a police investigation is complete.
porterville, tulare county, accident, local
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident