Man in wheelchair hit by Porterville waste truck
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Porterville city waste truck hit and killed a pedestrian in a wheelchair on Monday.
It happened on D street near Olive Avenue.
Police say a 73-year old man was crossing the street in a marked crosswalk when the city truck hit him.
The victim had just come from a nearby laundromat where he goes every Monday morning.
"I got hysterical. It's hard enough to see an animal get hit but for a human being it was sad," witness Leticia Maldonado said.
The city employee involved in the crash is on paid administrative leave until a police investigation is complete.
porterville, tulare county, accident, local
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela 21 min ago
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 15 min ago
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Photos: Winter Wonderland
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary