Proposed Northeast Fresno bike lanes creating controversy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A controversy over bike lanes is brewing in Northeast Fresno.
On Thursday, council members will decide whether to add the lanes or leave the streets alone.
City officials are proposing adding bike lanes to Gettysburg between Fresno and Winery.
That means reducing the road from four lanes to two.
And while bicyclists are applauding the proposal, some homeowners fear what it could do to the area.
Starting at Manchester Center Tuesday, "It's a street we all travel on, and so it's important we're there supporting it."
About two dozen bicyclists made their way to a community meeting inside Northwest Fresno's Thomas Elementary School.
At issue: a bike lane proposal called a "road diet"; a "slimming of the roadway" that city leaders will vote on this Thursday.
A Federal grant would be used to fund the 328-thousand-dollar project to add bike lanes to a two-point-seven mile portion of Gettysburg Avenue.
"Cause we know this is a pretty controversial topic"
Council member Larry Westerlund was there.
He answered questions and filled in residents about the plan: one he's in favor of.
Larry Westerlund said, "We did try to take people's concerns into consideration, and do something that will work for hopefully the whole community."
But that doesn't seem to be the case.
"It should got to the people that are in the district"
Several homeowners in the affected area argue, bike lanes would create traffic congestion and make it more difficult for them to exit driveways.
Mike Day, a homeowner, said, "It's a waste of money and a restriction to the flow of traffic and I just don't think it's right."
They say additional lanes will make it safer for them, and encourage a healthier, cleaner Fresno.
Byron Watkins, a bicyclist, said, "we were just listed as number five on the top ten polluted cities in the country, and so it's really important that we allow for people to take alternative forms of transportation, and the only way is if people feel safer."
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, local
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers 21 min ago
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- FUSD students improve nationally but still...
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos