About 350 sailors return to LNAS
LEMOORE, Calif. (KFSN) -- About 350 sailors from three strike fighter squadrons returned to Naval Air Station Lemoore Wednesday after a six month deployment overseas. For their waiting family members, the homecoming couldn't come soon enough.
"The homecomings help with the pain of deployment. Oh. I'm going to cry," said Brenda Heathcoat. Heathcoat's husband has been in the military for more than 23 years. Together, the couple has been through seven deployments.
While Matthew Heathcoat was gone this time, his first granddaughter was born. He met her Wednesday for the first time. "It's just like the first time every time I come home. It's awesome," said Matthew Heathcoat.
Heathcoat's daughters are also very familiar with these moments of anticipation. For daughter Chelsie Looker, the moments are a part of her past, and her future as a new military spouse. "I get the kid version of dealing with the deployment and now I get the married version. How my mom's going to be feeling, I'm going to be able to relate to her," said Looker.
NAS Lemoore actually hosted three separate homecomings. Three planes arrived within a couple of hours, and many families waited anxiously each time, unsure which flight held their loved one.
lemoore, lemoore naval air station, kings county, local, amanda perez
- Woman killed in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 4 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained 2 min ago
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse 24 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County...
49 min ago