Witness: Mom throws child clear of big rig, gets run over
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The accident happened around 8:30 a.m. Thursday morning on Fresno and E Streets near the Highway 99 exit.
Fresno Police say the driver of a big rig hit a woman, knocking her and her young child over in the crosswalk. The driver of the big rig stopped initially. One witness described the woman as a hero for throwing the child out of the way before the driver backed up and rolled over her -- hitting her a second time.
"For a mom to be that brave and save her baby other than herself. I mean that takes a lot of heart. So pretty much she just grabbed a baby and just tried to take it for him. And when I seen her I didn't even think she made it because she was flopping around the floor," said Stephanie Gonzales.
Police say the woman suffered serious injuries and possibly broke several bones in her body. EMT's rushed the woman and the child to the hospital. We're told the child received a large cut on his foot.
Police questioned the driver of the big rig and says he was at fault for the accident, but so far no arrest has been made.
accident, fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, local
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals