Witness: Mom throws child clear of big rig, gets run over
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The accident happened around 8:30 a.m. Thursday morning on Fresno and E Streets near the Highway 99 exit.
Fresno Police say the driver of a big rig hit a woman, knocking her and her young child over in the crosswalk. The driver of the big rig stopped initially. One witness described the woman as a hero for throwing the child out of the way before the driver backed up and rolled over her -- hitting her a second time.
"For a mom to be that brave and save her baby other than herself. I mean that takes a lot of heart. So pretty much she just grabbed a baby and just tried to take it for him. And when I seen her I didn't even think she made it because she was flopping around the floor," said Stephanie Gonzales.
Police say the woman suffered serious injuries and possibly broke several bones in her body. EMT's rushed the woman and the child to the hospital. We're told the child received a large cut on his foot.
Police questioned the driver of the big rig and says he was at fault for the accident, but so far no arrest has been made.
accident, fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, local
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball! 4 min ago
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Car crashes into a parade injuring around 60 people
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos