Fire breaks out in East Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A grass fire had Fresno and Clovis firefighters scrambling.
The fire broke out at the Old Palm Lakes Golf Course located at Peach and Dakota in East Central Fresno, near the airport.
The golf course is abandoned and covered in knee-high weeds and brittle dry grass.
The flames produced a great deal of smoke -- and all the fire and smoke worried the residents of two nearby apartment buildings. This fire and other problems forced half of the city's force into action.
Michael Despain with the Fresno fire department said, "We had a weather event coming over which was compromising firefighting efforts due to the high winds. We also had a commercial fire at peach and olive down the street which tied up a number of units."
Firefighters kept the flames from spreading to the nearby apartments and no-one had to be evacuated. Investigators are searching for the cause of the fire.
fire, fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, clovis, local
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 3 min ago
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos